Play House Extravaganza
I’ve been wanting to post all of my latest sewing projects for a while now so I have them all archived somewhere. So here is the first of many. I made this playhouse for the girls for Christmas. It was such a fun project that took many many hours of tedious sewing, but in the end I love it! I don’t think I’ll be making another playhouse of this magnitude again so enjoy it girls!
I started with each individual panel, starting with the front door of course. I got to use my embroidery on my sewing machine for the first time to add our address and make the mail box complete. It’s a fun new skill I probably won’t use a whole ton, but fun when it comes in handy.
Side view. I had really good intentions to make flowers with long stems that they could take in and out of the flower boxes, but those have yet to be started/completed……and may never make it to the playhouse.
I used an applique stitch to attach the trees, shrubs, mailbox, garden (pretty much everything except pockets, curtains, and door). This is one of the many parts that was so time consuming, but I really wanted to use cotton fabrics I just love the different patterns/colors it adds. I could have used felt and sewn them on using a straight stitch which would have saved LOADS of time.
The lovely garden. The corn and carrots can come out of their pockets and the lettuce is attached with velcro. The girls favorite part.
Inside view, with our lovely Piper as model. I put a bunch of pockets on the inside using whatever random fabric scraps I could scrounge up to keep all of their treasures and mail.
A house isn’t complete without a fireplace and bookshelf! This was my favorite part to make. I hope it warms their little hearts while they play!
The curtains have velcro tabs so they can open and shut them at will.
I did the top this way to save money. It was getting a little expensive with all that canvas.
And there you have it! A little house of fun. I made another of these houses for my brother’s family for Christmas only it was made out of felt and made to fit a card table. It took way less time and was significantly cheaper using all felt. It turned out cute.
3 Comments:
Wow, Miriam, that is so cool! What a fun, creative labor of love! I am definitely putting this on my list of things to make someday. I love the little details and thought you put into it. Well done, my friend!
That is AMAZING!! I love it!!! Seriously, I can't get over how awesome it is. I'm sure my girls would love one. But I don't know if I'm up to a task like that!
And we totally have those same whale pj's!!
oh my goodness, this is adorable!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home